Saturday, July 31, 2010

Me Previously

I’m 30. I did exist before then. This is me previously…

I was born on snowy Thursday morning on February 21, 1980. Okay, so I don’t know that it actually snowed that day, but I’m sure that it was cold. So young (20 and 22) and married just 7 months, I’m sure my parents had no idea what was in store for them. At 9:16am, Angela Marie Followell met the world. I wasn’t the prettiest baby girl, but I was loved. That I know for sure.

Two years later on Friday May 21, 1982 my sister Nicole was born. Of course, I don’t recall that specific day, but I know that I loved her from the moment I saw her. Looking at pictures of her then reminds me that she was much cuter than me. I loved the way she felt in her terrycloth pajama’s when I would snuggle up close; so warm and cuddly. The feeling didn’t last long. She became a pincher and I was her favorite thing to take her 2 year old anger out on.

In 1985 I started Kindergarten at Mulkeytown Grade School. There were about 10 kids in Mrs. Simpson’s class. It was a whole new world to me and I loved it. Twenty-five years later, my fondest memory was having milk donuts on the bleachers in the gym before school. I don’t know how often that happened, but it was fantastic. I also remember my school picture that year. My mom gave me a butterfly necklace from Avon that had 3 of 4 interchangeable butterflies to coordinate with my outfits. Dad must have got me ready that morning because the turquoise butterfly I wore that day did not match my maroon flowered dress. Mom was devastated and dad paid dearly, I’m sure.

The summer of 1988 the Followell family went on an excursion only the brave would attempt; driving to Disney World. The air conditioner died and we lost Niki (just for a short time) but in the end it was the most amazing vacation an 8 year old could ever imagine. That school year I met my best friend Katie. She had just moved to Christopher and I was sort of new. Mulkeytown consolidated with Christopher the year before so it was my 2nd year at a new school. We were meant to be. It was fate. We were attached at the hip. I loved her as much as I did my own sister. We spent the next 6 years doing the things that best friends do, but even better. Sleepovers, science books, and swimming come to mind. We also made prank calls on a daily basis, went on vacations together and spent every football season covering Christopher in toilet paper. Good times.

In 1994 I graduated 8th grade and began my career as a naïve high school girl that cared more about boys (2 or 3 come to mind) than actually learning anything. They broke my heart. The end of my sophomore year I got my drivers license. I had the privilege of driving my mom’s awesome Mercury Sable (Ang Nik 2) for a few months. Other than having the mirror knocked off of it in front of Dairy Queen, nothing too horrendous happened. Gas didn’t cost $6,187,249,259 a gallon then, so I spent every weekend making sure to empty the tank just in time for Mom to go to work Monday morning. On June 13, 1996 I was introduced to my first real love. I welcomed the 1992 sea foam green Ford Probe (Angla 80) that I had been drooling over for months. It was spectacular, it was perfect…until I demolished it my senior year. And that was the end of my love affair with an automobile. By graduation I had gained knowledge, but grown apart from my best friend, I had gained life experience, but misplaced (some of) my youth. Would I go back if I could? Possibly.

The summer of 1998 I spent working at Wendy’s and every other waking moment with Maria. Someone special was on the way and I didn’t want to miss it. School (RLC), work (RLC and K’s Merchandise), friends (Maria, Alechia, Jordan) is how I spent my first semester as a college student. I shared my 19th birthday with Maria’s baby shower. Two days later Sophia came into the world. The next year I spent every waking moment with Maria and Sophie. I celebrated my 20th birthday with Sophie’s 1st birthday. That August I left for Murray as naïve young woman that had every opportunity in the world to achieve great things. But life is not a contract set in stone. My life changed instantly.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment